Tent. Sleeping bag. Party gear. My Scattered Heart Attire. And we were set. It was finally here… I had been building up to this all year…my first ever Rocking The Daisies experience (or rather my first ever festival experience really).
I am already excited for next year.
The venue, the set up, the festival fairies, the company, the weather and the music was more than I could ask for. It was a weekend I will never forget…(seriously though, I DO remember everything).
Each and every daisy-goer were on their own mission. Dressing, drinking, dancing and doing whatever and however they wanted to. Its not often you get to go to a place and just NOT care what people think…because seriously…they DONT.
Though I did not drink a lot over the weekend (if anything at all), I still danced my heart out. If I am correct, I know I was partying from 5 Saturday afternoon to 5 the next morning. I literally just danced all night. If you had to ask me what my favorite or most memorable moment was, it would be when my friends (Sarah and Hudson) and I were right in the middle of the massive crowd watching MGMT. The song ‘Kids’ started playing, right at that moment…around 20,000 voices were screaming and hands were lifted in the air – It was breathtaking.
All the acts I saw were far from disappointing including The Sakawa Boys (seriously South Africans…watch this space), The Moths, Jeremy Loops (always a pleasure watching Mr Loops), Beatenberg, Goodluck (for various reasons), The Presets, Pascal and Pearce, Rudimental Dj Set, Crystal Fighters (my favorite) and MGMT.
Though I am no Festival Guru yet, I do have some tips to share if you are planning on losing your Daisy Virginity next year. Please, learn from what I learned. This, all in the spirit of becoming a well geared festival fairy.
1. Wetwipes! Wetwipes, wetwipes, wetwipes. Seriously though, wetwipes!
2. Sunscreen (yes I forgot to bring this vital piece with all the other crap I took)
3. Tomy Shoes. I spent 80% of my time there, barefoot. At night – this is a mistake. You also do a hell of a lot of walking. So rock those sneakers and All Stars.
4. Take a lilo. This is one of the first things Ill be packing for the dam on those hot days.
5. If you plan on going the Thursday, go early…like, as soon as the gates open. Otherwise expect to stand a few hours and get a t-shirt tan.
6. Take enough cash. Yes they have snap scan (though a lot of the shopping stalls don’t) and a few times it happened that the atm was not working or ran out of cash)
7. Photos, photos, footage, photos. Really, I didn’t take nearly enough photos and I regret it. If you have a Gopro…even better because you can then swim with it too. I find videos are also really important of your festival experience.
Im sure there are many more tips, but Im sure before next years RTD I’ll post a full “guide” according to my experience.
See you all at Daisies 2015